The primary features of a Reverse Mortgage are:
- Borrower can access cash from their own home equity
- The cash can be accessed in a variety of forms, known as payment plans
- It is a non-recourse loan
- The borrower retains the title of the home
- Must keep the home in good repair, and pay property taxes and insurance
- The amount of the loan advances generally depends on the value of the home, the age of the borrower, the type of payment plan selected, and the cost of the loan (that is, the loan fees and interest rate).